Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I'm making gradual progress

Its now been two full weeks and one full day since surgery. For the most part, I am feeling fantastic. But there is one small issue I am dealing with....orthostatic hypotension. This is the feeling you get when you are crouched down and you stand up too fast and then get dizzy. Its happened at one point or another to nearly everyone. Since the surgery, its happened to me every time I get up, whether I'm sitting or lying down. The standard advice is to get up slowly, but I am getting up slower than before the surgery because of my incision. And at the very least, I am certainly not getting up any faster. Its so concerning to me that I called my care team. My nurse Nancy brought it up to my nephrologist and they both agreed that it is "weird". My labs are normal. The doc suggested that its possible that I'm not eating enough salt. Hmm. So from now until Tuesday, I have been advised to increase the salt in my diet to see if it makes a difference. Bring on the chips!!

Other than that, I am feeling great. I went for my second bike ride on Tuesday (17.5 straight miles!) and today, I swam 1200 yards. The biggest difference is that after my workouts, I feel wiped. Most normal people feel energized after a workout, but when I finish a workout (and I use that term gently, I'm hardly "working out" at my normal level), I feel super tired. And I did expect that, but its one thing to expect a sensation, and its another thing to actually feel it.

2 comments:

  1. keep it up sounds like you are doing good

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad you're recovering so well! *hug*

    ReplyDelete